One of the biggest current health trends today is coconut oil. This amazing oil has so many uses and benefits it has been called the ‘world's healthiest oil’. To demonstrate some of the reasons coconut oil has earned this title, we have compiled a list of the top five health benefits of cooking with coconut oil.
- Not all fats are created equal! Coconut oil contains short term medium-chain saturated fatty acids , which is a healthy form saturated fat compared to trans fat. Our body metabolises these fats in the liver, immediately converting this into energy (fuel for the brain and muscle function) rather than it being stored as fat.
- Coconut oil helps control weight! One 2009 study looked at the weight loss link between women's consumption of coconut oil and found that it reduces abdominal obesity. Researchers discovered coconut oil is easy to digest and also protects the body from insulin resistance.
- Coconut oil aids digestion! Coconut oil has been found to benefit digestive disorders including irritable bowel syndrome and microbial related tummy bugs. Fatty acids in coconut oil contain anti microbial properties, which have a soothing effect on bacteria, candida, or parasites that cause poor digestion.
- Coconut oil supports immune function! Coconut oil is made up of healthy fats lauric acid, caprylic acid and capric acid which contain antifungal, antibacterial, antiviral prosperities to boost the immune system. Lauric acid contains the highest concentration of MCFA fatty acids, approximately 75 per cent. The body turn this fat into monolaurin which is claimed to help heal viruses such as herpes, influenza, cytomegalovirus, helicobacter pylori and candida.
- Coconut oil help control sugar cravings! Instead of reaching for the lollie jar for an afternoon sweet hit, try eating a teaspoon of virgin coconut oil to beat sugar cravings. This is because good quality fat is more satiating than carbs, so if you cut down on sugar you will feel less 'ravenous'. Most of us do not realize but constant hunger is a major clue that your body is not being fed correctly. With the proper amounts of fats and protein, you can fuel your energy reserves properly, and come off the sugar roller coaster that many of us are on.
So there you have it, five reason to start cooking with coconut oil today. For another great use for coconut oil check out oil pulling, the all natural and healthy way to improve mouth health and whiten teeth. Keeko Oil is a wonderful way to start oil pulling, offering a tasty, easy to use and completely organic coconut oil in pre-measured sachets. It’s just so easy!